Arriving is just the beginning

After a long, complicated visa process and extended vacation I received my ticket information on Dec. 10 and flew to France the next day. With time changes, flight connections, trains, and car rides, it took about a day and a half to arrive.

The wait seemed well worth it when I stepped into the resort. Eight weeks of living out of my suitcases was done. I could unpack my bags knowing I have a place to call home, at least until May.

Jet lag came the first few days but I decided to immerse myself in the Club lifestyle rather than catch up on sleep.

Things have not really slowed down since. I find myself learning new things every day as I adapt to the new language, new job, and new location.

It was so chaotic at the beginning that weeks went by before I realized I am living and doing exactly what I wanted two years ago. The day I left Togo I turned in one just one job application. All I wanted was to work in France as a public relations coordinator.

I left Dec. 11 feeling I had achieved half of that wish. Then, a few days later, I was offered the second half. This new position makes me the point of contact for members who spend at least $30,000/yr at the Club and equally for VIPs. 

The only downside is that most of the tasks come as a supplement to my normal hours. While I enjoy that supplement more than just being at reception it means I put in a lot of long days. Yesterday I started at 5:30 a.m. and had less than 3 hours of breaks before wrapping up around midnight.

Nonetheless, four and a half months is a short period of time. Sleep can wait. I’m comforted knowing I got what I wanted and I live in the beautiful French Alps. Later, I will squeeze in time for exploring.



0 comments:

Post a Comment