Trying for love

I spent my Valentine’s Day weekend trying to fall in love. Needless to say, this was not an easy task. I felt like I exerted all of me only to fail time and time again. Finally, I went back home in tears...

...so maybe skiing is not for me. I fool heartedly set to the slopes hoping to fall in love with this winter sport but our relationship never got that far.

What I did find, instead, were many parallels to six stages of a real relationship.

Stage 1: Ecstasy.
I started out in an ignorant bliss. Without much instruction I got on the skis and went for a go. It was exhilarating. I glided with no worries or cares until I realized I never learned to break.

Stage 2: Panic.
Back to reality. I had no idea what I was doing and was gaining speed. My panic-stricken attempt to stop turned into a colossal fall.

Stage 3: Tests.
I got back up, still smiling. Then, I proceeded again with caution and advice from friends. I fell yet again, this time with a slower recovery. The next was even slower and finally I barely wanted to get off the ground.

Stage 4: Loss of self.
After all the falls I had difficulty managing myself again. I struggled to untie my legs from all the knots I got them in and I started to feel like I didn’t know myself anymore. I discovered many new motions, along with new aches and pains.

Stage 5: The end.
After a while, I decided to give up. Things seemed to get progressively worse. I grew mad at the skis and at myself. Eventually, I accepted defeat and walked away in tears.

Stage 6: Re-try.
I went back alone, passing other skiers with flawless technique along the way. They seemed to glide so effortlessly that I became re-enchanted with the sport. I began to wonder if maybe it is worth another shot.

At the end of the day, I came back sore, tired, and defeated but I still want more. I’m not done with you yet, skis. Let’s try again for love.

0 comments:

Post a Comment